Highlights of 2017
At the beginning of 2017 I said that I wanted/needed to do more. I think I did a pretty good job trying to accomplish that. Here is my annual recap of some of the highlights of my year.
- Celebrated some big anniversaries — 10 years together and 5 years married. I love you Heather!
- Celebrated the birth of my first nephew Henry — The boys are obsessed with their new little buddy Baby Henry!
- Design — I did a decent amount of freelance design work this year (Thanks to J.S. Fields and everyone else!), I also got to attend a Draplin lecture, and learned some hand lettering skills from Ryan Hamrick.
- I started Tangleleg Tales — I place where I photograph and write about beer and the culture surrounding it.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban | J.K. Rowling — Knocked another one off the list! I'll finish them all someday.
- World's Best Ciders: Taste, Tradition, and Terroir | Pete Brown & Bill Bradshaw — Expanding my knowledge on cider.
- In Progress: See Inside a Lettering Artist's Sketchbook and Process, from Pencil to Vector | Jessica Hische — A great look at how she creates her amazing lettering.
- The Beer Bible | Jeff Alworth — Just about everything you'd need to know about beer.
- Draplin Design Co.: Pretty Much Everything | Aaron Draplin — Great work and very inspiring.
- The Drunken Botanist | Amy Stewart — A nice little book about botany’s role in your booze.
- Harry Styles | Harry Styles — I decided to give this album a listen on a whim and boy am I glad I did.
- reputation | Taylor Swift — I waited patiently for this album and it’s the best in a while.
- Steel Town | Steve Moakler — My sister has been preaching about Steve Moakler for years and this album is a good one.
- ÷ | Ed Sheeran — Loads of great songs on this one.
- California Sunrise | Jon Pardi — Some good country tunes!
- Frozen, Moana, Sing, Trolls, Newsies | Soundtracks — Thanks to our daily commute and dance sessions at home, the boys claimed the top spot with over 70 plays of the Frozen soundtrack!
- Pier | Trillium Brewing Company — I have a fondness for Wheat Pale Ales and this might be the best one I’ve had.
- Bourbon County Brand Stout | Goose Island Brewing Company — I finally found this legend and enjoyed one on Christmas Day. A truly fantastic beer!
- White | Allagash Brewing Company — I had never had this classic beer before so Craft Sessions felt bad for me and sent some. Now I just want more!
- Slip Angle Hazy IPA | Escutcheon Brewing Co. — I picked up a four pack while visiting Winchester, VA and this brewery is making some really great beer!
- Blazing Crude | Cinderlands Beer Co. — A fantastic milk coffee stout that was part of their inaugural beer menu. It was great to get to know this crew in 2017!
- Coastal Warfare | Butler Brew Works — One of the standout beers during our Butler beer crawl.
- Lupu-Luau IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery — A great and unique take on a tropical IPA
- Seedless Watermelon Gose | East End Brewing Company — I had my fair share of gose this year and this one was the best.
- Saison Dupont | Brasserie Dupont — There's a first time for everything. This one can change the way you think about beer.
- Bomb! | Prairie Artisan Ales — I got lucky when walking into a local shop when there was a freshly delivered case of this sitting by the counter. It’s like it was meant to be
- Nimble Giant | Tröegs Independent Brewing — I wrote a little something about discovering this in my blog. It was a treat!
- Your Hoppy Place | Yellow Bridge Brewing Co. — I drive past this brewery a lot. Unfortunately it’s usually on Mondays and they happen to be closed that day. Thankfully I was able to grab a growler of this one day and it was good one!
- iPad Pro & Apple Pencil | Apple — I’ve really enjoyed playing and creating with these tools.
- α6500 Camera | Sony — I made the switch to a new camera this year and it’s been great.